Giorgio Armani cancels Milan men’s show and Paris haute couture show due to surge in coronavirus cases
ROME – Designer Giorgio Armani announced on Tuesday that he is canceling his Giorgio Armani and Emporio Armani men’s fashion shows in Milan this month and his Prive haute couture show in Paris due to the surge in coronavirus cases in Europe .
The move makes Armani the first major designer to withdraw from Milan’s men’s premieres for fall / winter 2022-2023, scheduled for January 14-18. In a statement, the fashion house said the decision was “taken with great regret and after careful consideration in light of the worsening epidemiological situation.
“As the creator has expressed it on numerous occasions, shows are crucial and irreplaceable opportunities, but the health and safety of employees and the public must again be a priority,” the Armani statement said.
Milan’s fashion council announced last month that 22 brands, from Armani to Zegna, would host live shows, with just nine opting for digital presentations. It did so following the success of the September women’s clothing parades which featured 40 live catwalk previews, with mask requirements and a limited number of guests.
The British Fashion Council said its January men’s fashion shows will not take place due to COVID and will be consolidated with the women’s clothing calendar in February.